06 March 2010

Callie and Mariam are Lost in Translation

YouTube has a new feature which transcribes the audio from videos into subtitles, aiming to make the site accessible to more people. It works fairly well, but it also throws up a lot of weird/funny mistranslations. For example here we have the wonderful Callie, and we find that the word yaffle is translated as “the awful”, after I stopped crying I realised that it was true and that I AM AWFUL . Further proof that it's actually transcribing the truth is that the word eddus is translated into "make scientists", which just seems to make sense to me.

It doesn't seem to work on all videos, not sure, more info here.












Somebody I Used to Understand.

Some of these captions very strange, like some kind of dadaist poetry.

Mariaaaaaaaaam, why do you say these things?!








3 comments:

our national space said...

this is awesome

hi. i'm callie said...

omg! though - i do think mariam really did say something about prison and three eighths! in a perfect world you would be a blogger and mariam and i would be posting these about EWE

Somebodyiusedtoknow said...

Oh this is too funny The Awful! Lol!
I'm amazed at how inaccurate it was. Perhaps I don't speak clearly enuff? At any rate, its good for the lulz! Now I want to go try it! xo